- All man made political systems are called "taghoot" (false gods that rule by other than Allah's command. Regarding taghoot Allah The Almighty says that we have been ordered to shun taghoot:
Also Allah says:
"He who rejects taghoot and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy handle which never breaks... Qur'an 2:256
And : "We have sent to every nation a messenger proclaiming 'Serve Allah and shun taghoot." Qur'an 16:36
- Voting reinforces the legitimacy of the State since it makes it appear that they approve of the state.
- Moral power is superior to political power. Moral power changes behavior and challenges political power. Political power does not change behavior. Also, laws do not have to be repealed in order to be rendered ineffective. There are countless laws on the books that are virtually dead because the public would not tolerate its enforcement.
- It is the job of Muslims to teach people how to get along without the State in order to free them from the tyranny of the State. We must strip the State of its legitimacy in the public eye.
- It is not possible to " clean up the system from within." The system itself is corrupt. You cannot clean up a brothel and leave the business intact.
- Our ancestors did NOT "die for the right to vote." They thought voting would make a difference and that's what they died for - to make a difference. Had they known how useless voting would become, they would not have died for it. Voting does not change the economic, educational, medical or social standing of Black people in America.
- It is often argued that non-voting is a type of apathy. Actually, voting is apathy! By voting you are throwing in the towel and going along with the flow. The non voter shows far more courage because he refuses to go along with patriotic slogans and illogical rhetoric.
- The time and money spent on political organizing could be spent on non political alternatives.
- Asians and Indians have made remarkable strides without any electoral empowerment. Koreans control the economy of many Black neighborhoods and have more access to the mayor than Blacks even though Koreans have not voted in large numbers.
- Elections silence any revolutionary fervor. Potential "malcontents" are sucked into the safe activity of "participating in the system." For instance, many Black radicals of the 1960's were "cooled out" by giving them a "piece of the action."
- The majority of Americans don't vote. Americans have given up on the political system because they know its participants are corrupt liars. When Muslims participate in such a system, they lose credibility among those who know the truth. Thus, the voting Muslims betray the people that they are supposed to be helping.
- Non voting is a declaration of independence from the taghoot and it may free us from blame before our Lord Almighty Allah
Suggested further reading:
Holy Qur'an 39:17
Dissenting Electorate: Those Who Refuse To Vote and the Legitimacy Of Their Opposition
by Carl Watner